Tuesday, January 27, 2009

i honor the Holy One who resides within you

Today was new.

I experienced something today I would have previously thought would never happen.

Yesterday the farm was donated 10 chickens. I was told they were broilers which means they don't lay eggs and are primarily used for their meat. So, I was given the opportunity (most others here at the farm ducked out of) on this most depressingly rainy and cold day to butcher these chickens plus 5 rabbits.

It was done with utmost respect. We prayed for the animals before we performed the act. And we made sure that every cut and tear was done delicately.

As I stood there with a tear welling in my eye I could only hope that this killing wouldn't be so horrible in his eyes. My eyes were however opened to the fact that this is the way most of the food I had been eating prior to the farm was prepared except probably a lot less respectfully and with much less care. This experience is really going to challenge me to think before I choose to eat whatever may cross my path.

==

Other than the sadness, I am really enjoying the time I've spent here at the farm. I cannot get over how much love overflows out of this place. Even the goats!

I hope everyone is doing fantastically (the two of you who read this)!

namaste to all

2 comments:

Julie Kibler said...

I'd simply say I'm proud of you, but that sounds kind of weird and wrong here, huh? What I want to say, I think, is how proud I am of your compassion.

Wendy said...

Thank you for writing this! I relish the opportunity to dig deeper into the "stuff" of life I take for granted. This is certainly one of those things. Thank you.