Sunday, June 29, 2008

Loud and Proud!

I went to mass tonight with a friend. Behind us sat this little girl with her mother. Both were wearing lacy headcoverings. I didn't think much of them until we sang the song "Sanctuary". This little girl was singing this song at the top of her lungs! Not many of the folks in the congregation knew the words or really even seemed to care, but this girl was belting it out like her life depended on it.

Someday she realize just how much her life depends on it! But for now the gaudy, obnoxious singing should serve as a example to the rest of us. We must be out there. We must be odd. We must be his. This little girl was singing her loudest and best and she is first in the kingdom.

An old saying goes, "If you can't dance, it's not your revolution!" And this is my cry.



Let the lover be disgraceful,
Crazy, absentminded.
Someone sober will worry
About things going badly.
Let the lover be.
-Rumi

1 comment:

Julie Kibler said...

My fast reading eyes thought you said lacy under things at first instead of lacy headcoverings. I wondered why they had them visible during mass. I guess I should slow down.